"Have you thought about writing your family history, but found yourself stuck from the start? Writing a family narrative can be a daunting task, but Karen Jones Gowen found a way to bring her mother's story to life." (Homespun Magazine)

Friday, April 22, 2011

S is for Sunshine

I can't even tell you how many women have told me their doctors said they had Vitamin D deficiency. I used to spend hours outdoors everyday, year round. Walking, working in the yard, being outside with the kids. Then I somehow got away from it and became this big hermit. I guess I had so much work to do inside I couldn't spare the time for the sun.

The sun powers our lives. People need to be outside in the sunshine. It's rejuvenating and healing for mind, soul and body. When I was young, I heard that all the time from grown-ups: "Get outside in the fresh air and sunshine. Go play outside. You haven't been outside yet today. You'll feel better when you go outside and get some sun." Sound familiar? Well, maybe not if you are under forty. Because somewhere along the way came this idea that the sun's rays are harmful and cause skin cancer. What the heck? Why is it that everything causes cancer? Do people even know what causes cancer anyway?

So people started avoiding the sun, covering up, staying in and now it's Vitamin D deficiency from not enough sunshine. Lately I've been going outdoors for long walks in the sun-- and I can't tell you how much better I feel. It's not just the exercise either because I can be busy in the house, actively running up and down stairs, vacuuming, doing whatever for 6 or 7 hours on my feet and not feel as good as I do after an hour in the sun.

4 comments:

  1. The sun is just amazing. After 16 years at work, I finally have a window. People come to my desk and say, "How can you see your computer screen with the sunlight glare!"

    I just smile and shrug. It will only cause a glare for an hour and it warms my back and my heart. And you know, secretly they want a window too. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. But do get some sunscreen lotion on, please! :-)

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy the sun as well. I like to walk, but do it in the early morning because here in Florida the summer months bring intense heat. So I try to get out before 8:00 a.m.
    Enjoy the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last year I was fake tanning everyday for three months and I have to say I have been missing it. I don't want to be tan, I think it was just the summertime feeling it gave me.

    ReplyDelete

I don't post very often, but if you leave a comment I'll know someone is out there reading. And then I will post more! Bwa ha ha!