"Have you thought about writing your family history, but found yourself stuck from the start? Writing a family narrative can be a daunting task, but Karen Jones Gowen found a way to bring her mother's story to life." (Homespun Magazine)

Friday, November 23, 2012

What Did the Ghost Say to the Wall?

"Don't mind me, I'm just passing through."

Haha, I'm listening to my grandson tell riddles to his uncle. This one sticks in my mind. Because aren't we all like ghosts just passing through?

As I pass through, I consider life and how it is going so terribly fast. I'm not at all afraid of ghosts. What I fear is lost opportunity. Every day my prayer is that I will know what's best for me to do each particular day.

I haven't always had this prayer in my heart. But as time slips away, and my children are now the age I was when I had them, as I hear my grandchildren read from riddle books and yell, "Why do you always know the answers???" just as my own little boys used to do, I get a little panicky seeing time pass so quickly right before my eyes.

Because there's still so very much to do. I should quit thinking about ghosts and walls and just passing through, and instead live in the moment, like this--

8 comments:

  1. This could be me. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gwen, Thanks so much for stopping by. I just found you on Twitter, am now following.

      Delete
  2. I know exactly how you feel. The speed of life is frightening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I used to hear my parents say it-- "the older I get the faster time passes"-- and now I understand exactly what they mean.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm quite interested in following this. As you know, I have a great love of family history. As far as I'm concerned our departed and much loved ancestors aren't that far away. There have been many many times when the veil has parted and I've been quite comforted by what I've seen. Way to go, Karen. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, Thanks for stopping by. Have you thought of setting up a blog with family history themes?

      Delete
  5. I had the same feelings this Thanksgiving. I was reminded of our family's past holidays and of those loved ones who were missing. I just try to savor every moment I have!

    ReplyDelete

I don't post very often, but if you leave a comment I'll know someone is out there reading. And then I will post more! Bwa ha ha!