"Have you thought about writing your family history, but found yourself stuck from the start? Writing a family narrative can be a daunting task, but Karen Jones Gowen found a way to bring her mother's story to life." (Homespun Magazine)

Sunday, January 2, 2011

In Memory of Lucille Marker Jones, the Nebraska Farm Girl

My dear mother, who was born January 18, 1917, saw the dawning of 2011. And then she passed away peacefully early on New Year's Day. I had hoped she might make it to her birthday, but at least she made it to 1/1/11. I congratulate her on a life well-lived. I feel very fortunate to have been her daughter.

Now she is once again with my dad who died 8 years ago, and with her parents, grandparents and many other loved ones on the other side.


This is Mother and me on the signing and speaking tour for Farm Girl in Nebraska, two years ago.



                                                       Lucille and Bill Jones, together again.


                                                                       Little Lucille

                                  She loved Christmas her whole life and always made it special.

                                                 Lucille on the fence that surrounded the family farm.

She adored her dad, who died when she was only 30. What a joyous reunion it must have been with so many loved ones welcoming her home.

Until we meet again, farewell to my beloved mother of infinite grace and beauty.


10 comments:

  1. Commiserations on the loss of your mother. My cat of 18 years also died on 01/01/11

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm truly sorry, Karen. Thank you for sharing these photos. How vibrant she was in that photo with you just two years ago. I'm glad she made it to your daughter's wedding. I'll be thinking of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sincere condolences on your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your Mom - I am keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to read about your sad loss. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Karen .. I am so sorry and how poignant that she went across the rainbow bridge on the first of the new year. My thoughts are with you and will be with you .. and as Rosalind says take very good care of yourself .. with love Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for the sweet comments. It means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My condolences, Karen. The happy memories and photographs that you have of your mother will comfort you. Thank you for sharing this with your blogger friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry about your Mom's passing. It is not easy losing your mother. My condolences to you and your family at this difficult time. The pictures are priceless!
    Thanks for sharing and hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Karen, I am so sorry for your loss X

    ReplyDelete

I don't post very often, but if you leave a comment I'll know someone is out there reading. And then I will post more! Bwa ha ha!