"Have you thought about writing your family history, but found yourself stuck from the start? Writing a family narrative can be a daunting task, but Karen Jones Gowen found a way to bring her mother's story to life." (Homespun Magazine)

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Clearing out old energy drains

That's how my sister put it when I told her we were moving from our home of 12 years and I was doing a major clear out and streamline. Because I really don't want to move all the old stuff to a new house. She said, "Good! You successfully raised four boys in that house, it's time to move on and get rid of the old energy drains." 

Of course she didn't mean any remnants of my beloved sons LOL, but I knew just what she meant. Old broken down stuff that we are so accustomed to that we look right past it. This is a huge home, there has been room in it for accumulating and for storing, and isn't it always easier to store than it is to sort?

But now I'm sorting and does it ever feel good! I am examining, choosing, tossing, cleaning, boxing. Only what we truly value will go with us to the new house. And whatever makes the cut has to be cleaned and in good repair. That's my husband's and my agreement. If we don't care enough about an item to clean it and/or fix it, then we won't take it.

It's amazing how easy it is to part with things under those terms.

15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found this sort of thing energizes me. Clearing out, throwing/giving away, keeping only what's relevant. I do this all the time, not just when I move!!! (that was my post above; sorry, a stupid spelling error. I really need to get away from the computer, but I just had to read what you wrote, and comment....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're getting ready to do the same thing--cleaning out a house where we raised three kids. It's quite a challenge! I like your criteria for keeping or tossing things. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Instead of spring cleaning, you're winter cleaning. It's good to do. If it were up to me, I'd store everything. My husband helps me purge.

    Then when the warmer weather comes, you can go out and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. De-cluttering is one of the most cathartic ways I find to clear out mentally and getting control of my physical environment!! I do like doing this every few months or so!

    take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again you are inspiring me. I need to clear out -- clothing I will never wear again from my closets, stuff cluttering up my shelves, and especially the basement (ugh!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoo-boy, I could stand to do this to my basement, even without moving. Bet it's liberating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just finished a phone call to my sister who is doing the same thing. I think it's easier to do these things once you've made up your mind to do it. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can any of you help me with 23 boxes I've carried from home to home for the last 30 years? I have no idea whats it them and am afraid to look. Please send your address - I pay the shipping (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Karen .. it's an interesting process .. I've just done it to my own home, and now have Mum's stuff here to sort through .. one favoured item I wanted to collect was a bamboo wine rack I bought in the 70s for my London flat .. and thought to myself where is it? Mum's best friend who lives next door had had excessive wine at Christmas and thought where do I store it ..oh I know .. there's rack next door - she'd polished it up .. I couldn't have it with the wine - so I thought it'd better stay where it is serving a good purpose & knowing there'll be a bottle when I get to visit! If you take up Forrest's offer .. please let me know .. I'll ship mine over the pond too!?! When my uncle died all their stuff was still in storage boxes after their move out of London 25 years before!

    Just enjoy the process .. at least you have a good understanding with your hubby .. cheers I shall be thinking of you .. Hilary

    PS - I know it's also not an easy time - memories are recent .. with thoughts .. H

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hillary and Forrest, You know if you were to put that offer on ebay and even pay shipping for x amount of surprise boxes, I'll bet you would get an offer! Probably lots of them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Five years ago, my wife and I did exactly that. We are so happy that we did so...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't that what they call Feng Shui, allowing positive energy to flow back into your lives. Good luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Karen, a new home,this post brings back memories. I have done my share of moving; I love your approach! I am going to think that way,when I clean the Frog(furnished room over garage) this weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you! I'm terrible at this (not throwing things out that need to be GONE). I'm sure it will feel great when you're done!

    ReplyDelete

I don't post very often, but if you leave a comment I'll know someone is out there reading. And then I will post more! Bwa ha ha!