"Have you thought about writing your family history, but found yourself stuck from the start? Writing a family narrative can be a daunting task, but Karen Jones Gowen found a way to bring her mother's story to life." (Homespun Magazine)

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Latest from Camp Pendleton

In honor of Pearl Harbor Day, which also happens to by my young Marine's birthday, here is the latest from Camp Pendleton, from his recent letter, written on Thanksgiving Day:

"Here is my day so far. Wake up, make racks, get dressed, clean house. These were all part of our every day routine, then we went to chow and ate the usual breakfast of scrambled eggs, potatoes and other foods. Here comes the good part-- we are having church today because we skipped it on Sunday and at church (which is where I am right now) we got Costco pumpkin pie, cinnamon rolls, brownies, M & M's, hot chocolate and apple cider. It was the greatest thing in the world, but I am feeling kinda sick because I haven't had food like this for almost 2 months."

"We have been shooting all week and we had qual day yesterday. I qualified with expert, which is the best possible qual. I can hit a human-sized target from 500 yards with plain iron sights and no scope with my MIGA4 rifle."

"People in boot camp wouldn't be so miserable if they didn't tell themselves that everything they do is horrible; and if they didn't have a bad attitude about everything."

"You know an energy drink is good when it is called Xyience and pronounced 'science.'"

"True love is writing a love note to your girl.... in the porta john."

"Birds don't poop on recruits' heads because we are wearing camoflauge and they can't see us."

Happy 19th birthday, Recruit Gowen.

11 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, the rifle range! I just drove past Camp Pendleton yesterday. I can see the barracks used by the recruits there. Shooting expert, I wonder if he had to help anyone else qualify? He's on the downhill side of it now. Thanks for the update Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, I was hoping you would see this one. So you drove by Camp Pendleton? Did you wave at him as you went by LOL? We'll see him Jan. 7 for his graduation. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. True for him, it's all about the attitude. Happy birthday to the young Marine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jennifer & Ann, I sure do miss him! This year for his birthday all we could do is write letters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to your son, he has his mother's way with words!!

    "True love is writing a love note to your girl.... in the porta john."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww happy birthday to your amazing and very positive and cheerful young marine!!!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL at the bird poop. Happy Birthday to your wonderful son--what a great attitude he has! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. he is so positive and funny. Tell him we all said Happy Birthday and I bet you cant wait till January.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for helping me celebrate, your encouraging & thoughtful comments are bringing a tear to my eye.

    I am so relieved that boot camp isn't changing him for the worse, but it's teaching him discipline & some true life lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our neighbor (were in VA) is at Camp Pendleton and my nephew will be heading there the first the 2011 as he just signed up. We used to live not far from there was I was growing up. I remember driving along the stretch of freeway were you could watch the tanks do manuvers. You can still do that. I took my 2 sons a couple years back to SeaWorld and we saw tanks drive right by while at the rest stop. Best wishes to all our young service people.

    ReplyDelete

I don't post very often, but if you leave a comment I'll know someone is out there reading. And then I will post more! Bwa ha ha!