"Have you thought about writing your family history, but found yourself stuck from the start? Writing a family narrative can be a daunting task, but Karen Jones Gowen found a way to bring her mother's story to life." (Homespun Magazine)

Monday, November 8, 2010

Saving Precious Memories

I started this blog as a means of encouraging people to save and record their personal and family histories, although I mostly just ramble on about my soup, my walks, my basement, my dogs....

My 93-year-old mom, the subject of Farm Girl, suffered a stroke two weeks ago, and I thank God every day that she and I were able to put this book together back when she was in full health. This was at age 90, mind you.

A lady who heard me speak at a library, said regretfully, "I thought I'd have more time." I am so grateful that I don't have those regrets, but if Mother hadn't lived such a long, active life, I might be saying the same thing: "I thought I'd have more time."

What's the best way to record our own, our parents or grandparents' stories? Just make it a priority and do it. There is no right or wrong method, no secret formula. However, it's one of those things that too easily gets procrastinated regardless of the best intentions. Don't put it off until it's too late-- record those precious memories that will be treasured by many.

12 comments:

  1. You're right. It's so easy to put off until you can "find time" for it, but time never seems to come.

    That's another good thing about blogging, isn't it? We're leaving digital footprints for our children someday follow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice and wise words as always KarenG! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very timely post...the chapter I just finished revising ended on how I regret I didn't discover a side to my father until after he died, listen to my father's stories instead of getting annoyed, and didn't ask more questions. "I wish, I wish, I wish...too late."

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the things that I do to preserve memories is scrapbooking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was fortunate enough to be granted a Heritage Lottery funding to run a memory project in my local community. I ran memory workshops. People were reluctant for a start but once they began to reminisce there was no stopping them. We now have a wonderful book that everyone is very proud of. I'm so glad we did it before it was too late and. like yourself, I would urge everyone to have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for your mother. By the time most of us think about preserving stories from the past, someone has passed on and it's too late.It's good you began so much sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is exactly why I am attempting to keep my blog current. If I don't keep any other record, at least there is that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have recorded a lot of my family's stories, through the years. It is so wonderful that you wrote Farm Girl when you did. I am keeping your Mom in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen, I am sorry to hear about your Mom! I am happy you recorded her life,her journey~ I look forward to reading it! I am amazed at the connections, the struggles our families have gone through. When we go back in time and see what they endured. Just 60 yrs ago, medical care was so different. My Dad had strep throat that lead to rheumatic fever and enlarged his heart. He died at 45. His family didn't the $ didn't realize the seriousness of the situation.

    I look forward to reading your book;I have it on my Christmas Wish list~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also wanted to add; I am happy you made the time! We never know how long we or they truly have~xXx

    ReplyDelete
  11. So, so true. I keep asking Dad and Mom to record their memories, but if it's to be done, I'm probably the only one who'll do it. I need to make it more of a priority, but time already has me by the jugular. (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  12. As you know I'm working on a project involving my MIL's life story. It's getting harder by the day to communicate clearly with her. I hope we don't run out of time. She has a good story. I'm happy that you were able to get your work done. It made for a fantastic book.

    I hope you mother is doing okay and is comfortable.

    ReplyDelete

I don't post very often, but if you leave a comment I'll know someone is out there reading. And then I will post more! Bwa ha ha!