"Have you thought about writing your family history, but found yourself stuck from the start? Writing a family narrative can be a daunting task, but Karen Jones Gowen found a way to bring her mother's story to life." (Homespun Magazine)

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Sharing


For a long time I've considered doing a blog about writing one's story, writing from your life, because that's what I did with both Farm Girl and Uncut Diamonds. Many of those who read Farm Girl used it as inspiration for writing their own stories. All the time I heard, "You should share your insights with others. So many people want to do what you did." I avoided it for a long time, because I wanted the book to stand on its own as a literary work, not just as a personal history work.

Okay, now I'm ready. Farm Girl has (sort of) stood on its own as a literary work, receiving numerous positive media reviews and having sold over 2000 copies through bookstores and direct sales. Not a bestseller by any means, but hey I'll take it!

This blog is for those interested in writing from life, or to write their own history. Not necessarily writers, although I believe one's own story can be a basis for literature. Hopefully I can share what I've learned through my experience. Bear with me while I get this blog site up and running and looking attractive.

9 comments:

  1. I think this blog is already interesting. I really like the first photo, although they are all great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Are you the same Jane as Jane Finchwood who is my first follower?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting Karen. I never thought about my life being interesting. Something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog, Karen, I love the photos, you are a true seanchai (pronounced shan-key) who kept family and village stories alive through an oral tradition. They never wrote them down, just kept their audience spellbound. Which reminds me that I read somewhere that we should read our stories aloud and if they don't sound right to the ear, go back and edit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi

    Wow - lovely blog - I LOVE the pics here on your blog. After 7 April if I don't receive MY copy of Farm Girl from Amazon.com, I can complain apparently!!!! Yay!! I got my pen and knife all sharpened! Grrrrr!!!

    I want my copy - this blog is actually killing me cos it's saying look what I'm missing!!

    :-)

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kitty, just cancel it and order direct from me. You will get it in a week. We should have done that in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christine, really and truly? I'll bet those who love you think your life is interesting. I'll bet your children someday will treasure what you have written.

    Brigid, thank you for that, it's a compliment, and I will remember that word! My first Celtic word!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello there!

    You’ve got a great genealogy blog and we’ve added it to the list of over 1,500 genealogy blogs at GeneaBloggers (http://www.geneabloggers.com).

    We will announce your blog in our weekly New Genealogy Blogs on Saturday, December 11, 2010. In the meantime, please visit the About (http://www.geneabloggers.com/about/) section at GeneaBloggers to learn how you can display your GeneaBloggers badge on your blog and also how you can participate in activities such as the Daily Blogging Themes.

    If you need technical assistance, please check out Bootcamp for GeneaBloggers (http://fbbootcamp.blogspot.com).

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete

I don't post very often, but if you leave a comment I'll know someone is out there reading. And then I will post more! Bwa ha ha!