"Have you thought about writing your family history, but found yourself stuck from the start? Writing a family narrative can be a daunting task, but Karen Jones Gowen found a way to bring her mother's story to life." (Homespun Magazine)

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I am now a Geneablog, I have the badge!

When I started this particular blog, I thought I'd like to connect with other family history buffs, but didn't really know where to find them. I figured eventually they would find me LOL. And eventually they did! Which is just so exciting!

All you writers out there working so hard on social media, I figure this is a sign that it really does work. Those people who share the same interests will find each other. So welcome to my new followers, and I'll try not to post so much about making donuts, eating too much fast food or my new year's challenges, and stick a bit more to the topic and purpose I meant this blog to be in the first place: writing from life. Writing your story. Or the stories of those you love.

And despite that new badge I put on my sidebar, I really can't call myself a genealogist. I don't walk the walk so I better not talk the talk.  I love to write from life, love to read stories that other people write about themselves and their families. But I don't research names and dates. My husband does a little bit of that, when he has the time. And right now we are involved with some start-up businesses so there isn't much time.

Now I leave you with a Christmas image from the past-- my mother as a child in Nebraska, reminding us once again that Christmas is timeless. And seen through a child's eyes is magical, even when times are hard, the tree is small, and the gifts are simple.





 
Wishing you all a very merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. 

See you next year!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Karen .. I think that's wonderful .. well done & your history will be so interesting with the connections to here and to Norway .. the travels people made through necessity or just sheer decision to change in those hard times .. is a tale to tell.

    I love the picture of your mother .. is she in Norway .. and please all have a lovely family time enjoying the family blessings .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I think genealogy is fascinating and yet time-consuming! I love to hear the stories, but am not so keen on doing the research myself.

    Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picture. What a gift to have that photographic connection to your family history. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your new badge, Karen. What a wonderful image of your mother as a child!

    Good luck with your start-up businesses. A Merry Christmas to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Karen!
    Merry Christmas to you and your family...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ilove what you say here. Welcome to Genea Bloggers

    ReplyDelete

I don't post very often, but if you leave a comment I'll know someone is out there reading. And then I will post more! Bwa ha ha!